Dangers of Grape Juice for Dogs and What to Do If Your Dog Drinks It

small dog licking his lips

Grape juice is a refreshing and nutritious beverage for humans, but it can be dangerous for our canine friends. Grapes and their derivatives, including raisins and grape juice, are known to cause severe kidney damage and other health problems in dogs.

While the toxicity level of grape juice is relatively low compared to grapes themselves, it’s still not recommended to give your dog any amount of grape juice, as it can lead to potential health issues.

Why Are Grapes Toxic to Dogs?

The exact cause of grape and raisin toxicity in dogs is still unknown, but several theories have been proposed. One hypothesis suggests that a mycotoxin present in grapes and raisins may be responsible for the toxicity. Another theory suggests that grapes and raisins contain a substance called salicylate, which is similar to aspirin and can be toxic to dogs. However, the most recent theory is that tartaric acid found in grapes is the primary toxic agent.

How Much Grape Juice (Grape Products) Is Harmful to Dogs?

There is no specific dose of grape juice that is considered safe for dogs so avoid it all all costs. The toxicity of grapes and grape products can vary widely between individual dogs, depending on their breed, size, age, and health status.

Therefore, even a small amount of grape juice can be harmful to some dogs, while others may be able to tolerate a larger amount without experiencing any adverse effects. As a rule of thumb, it’s best to avoid giving your dog any amount of grape juice or grape products to prevent potential health risks.

What Happens if a Dog Drinks Grape Juice (including Wine)

If your dog has ingested grape juice, you need to act quickly to prevent any potential harm. The first signs of grape poisoning in dogs usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion. Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, dehydration, abdominal pain, decreased appetite, excessive thirst or urination, bad breath, tremors, seizures, and even kidney failure.

If your dog shows any of these symptoms after drinking grape juice, contact your veterinarian immediately. The vet may induce vomiting to remove the grape juice from your dog’s stomach, or administer activated charcoal to absorb the toxins.

In severe cases, hospitalization and intravenous fluids may be necessary to treat dehydration and kidney damage. The sooner you seek veterinary care, the better chances of a positive outcome for your furry friend.

Preventing Grape Juice Poisoning in Dogs

The best way to prevent grape juice poisoning in dogs is to keep all grape products out of their reach. This includes fresh grapes, raisins, grape juice, wine, and grape seed extract. If you have a grapevine in your backyard, make sure it’s not accessible to your dog.

Warn your family and friends not to feed your dog any grape products. This includes, raisins, seeds, and always keep an eye on your dog during outdoor gatherings or parties where grape juice or wine may be served.

What to Feed Your Dog Instead

There are plenty of safe and healthy alternatives treats beside grape juice that you can offer your dog. Water is the best drink for dogs, and they should always have access to fresh, clean water. You can also add some flavor to your dog’s water by infusing it with fruits and vegetables, such as berries, cucumbers, or apples. However, you should always avoid certain foods including fruits and vegetables that are toxic to dogs, such as avocado, onion, garlic, and chocolate.

Hydrating Your Dog With Bone Broth as a Treat

Another great way to hydrate your dog and add nutrients to their diet is by offering them bone broth. Bone broth is a rich source of protein, collagen, and minerals that can help improve your dog’s joint health, digestion, and immune system. You can make bone broth at home with leftover bones from chicken, beef, or fish, or purchase ready-to

In Conclusion Grape Juice for Dogs

Bottom line is that grape juice is not safe for dogs to consume. Although it may not be as toxic as grapes themselves, it still contains the unknown toxins. As a responsible pet owner, it’s best to avoid giving your dog any types of grape products, including grape juice and raisins and of course keep them away from wine. But accidents happen, as a dog may get into a glass by accident.

Get Them to a Veterinary to Be Safe

If your dog does accidentally ingest grape juice, monitor them closely for symptoms of grape poisoning and seek veterinary attention immediately if necessary. Remember, prevention is key to keeping your pet healthy and happy. Stick to a well-balanced diet and avoid feeding your dog any human food unless recommended by your veterinarian.